If your need for security cameras or surveillance is limited to emergencies, you don't need to spend thousands of rupees on a professional security system. It is possible to use a relatively much cheaper webcam, along with free open source software, as a security camera.
If you have a laptop or a computer with a webcam, you don't need to buy any other gadget to turn your computer into a security camera. Using your webcam as a home security camera is quite simple, and this guide will show you to accomplish that feat with nothing more than few minutes to spare.
You may need a USB extension cord to safely monitor an area without having your computer visible.
There are wireless webcams available these days if you want a 100 per cent wireless system.
With the help of software like EyeSpyFX and EvoCam you can even monitor your webcam's feed from a cell phone.
You can also upload your captured frames to a website using FTP upload or email the file to yourself.
1. Install the webcam and accompanying software using the manufacturer's instructions.
2. Install open source free webcam security software such as Dorgem or Yawcam.
3. Open the "options" or "settings" menu in the security software and select the choices necessary to enable motion recording of webcam images.
4. Position the webcam in a location that has a clear view of the area you wish to monitor.
5. Access the webcam security software to view the videos and images that were recorded while you were away.
Courtesy:Gadgets and Gizmos