"I wish I could do more for the aam aadmi but my hands were tied due to limited fiscal room. But I have put more money and savings in the hands of people"
- Arun Jaitley, Union Finance Minister, to agencies
"BJP sought a mandate for a 'Congress mukt' (free) Bharat. Arun Jaitley would have realised it is not possible to have even a Congress-mukt Budget"
- P. Chidambaram, former finance minister, to PTI
"The budget is visionless, missionless and actionless from the angle of the common people"
- Mamata Banerjee, Chief Minister, West Bengal, to agencies
"We don't see any major announcements on expenditure cuts, particularly subsidies. There is nothing which indicates a significant cut in subsidy levels of food, fertiliser, etc"
- Roopa Kudwa, CEO & MD, Crisil Ltd, on CNBC-TV18
"This doesnt look very different (from the previous governments budgets). The names of the schemes have changed, thats all"
- Madan Sabnavis, Chief Economist, CARE Ratings, to The Wall Street Journal