- Infrastructure building
- Improving access to medicines
- Reduction in transaction costs
- Incentivising R&D
- Reduction in tax burden and other measures
- Increased budgetary allocation for National Rural and Urban Health Mission may improve access. However, a planned allocation on 'Universal Health Coverage' initiative was highly expected.
Following other proposals of the Finance Minister are also laudable and could benefit the Industry in the longer term:
- Increased budgetary allocation for Medical Studies.
- Expansion of medical care facilities for women and differently abled
- Increased allocation for geriatric care
- Setting up of Indian Institute of Biotechnology
- Allocation of fund for products based on science and technology innovations
Thus, in our view, the healthcare concerns of the country have not been given adequate importance in the Union Budget proposals for 2013-14 to help improving the healthcare needs of the nation.